Thursday, April 28, 2011

Wallpapered Genius

I occasionally get a decorating ideas newsletter from Better Homes and Gardens. After looking at their featured slideshow, I continued to look around on their site and found an awesome slideshow about using wallpaper remanants. They had the traditional ideas that we see in the crafting world--you know decoupaged inside a tray, covering a cubby box, inside the back of shelves, and so on. But some of those ideas were just genius! I kept saying, "Oh my gosh" or "Awesome, I have to do that!" To see the whole slideshow start here. Here are a few of my favorites:

This old display cabinet gets a fresh coat of paint, some funky wallpaper, and a few hooks to become a jewelry cabinet. (I'm seriously going to do this one once I find a cabinet!)
Okay, so this isn't a particularly new idea but I love the print and color combo on this dresser. I have a desk I'm planning on redoing and this gives me some inspiration. Can you spot the other wallpapered accesories in the picture?
A little twist on an old trick. The shelves on the wall are cubes covered in wallpaper and then mounted on the wall as display shelves. But wouldn't this be cool if they were open on the top (like a box) and then screwed into the wall for storage. You could store markers and paintbrushes and stuff as art in a craft area.
I love this idea but I know the hubbie would never approve of wallpaper, let alone patchwork wallpaper. Although, this is great if you're worried about not being able to match and line up patterns because it's random. That's my kind of decorating (where no one can tell if you messed up)! Maybe I could get away with this on a smaller scale, like a couple of canvases above my bed.
I love this idea. I like the look of a white plate collection on the wall, but I always thought it looked like...well, plates hanging on a wall. This is a cool way to freshen that up. Slap some wallpaper (or scrapbook paper) on some white plates and white painted wooden plaques and you have some art. Presto!
This is my absolute favorite! They wrapped and stapled wallpaper to a canvas. Then added the pink vinyl (I think) saying. The shelf is just wood screwed into the bottom wood stretcher of the canvas. Add some fresh flowers in a vase and voila! Form and function. :)

The whole slideshow has some cool ideas, check it out here. Now, I want to know where they found all of their cool wallpapers...


No comments: