Monday, October 18, 2010

Old Halloween Costumes


The Dating Divas are having a Halloween costume contest (here). Unfortunately, our costumes for this year are still being made and the contest closes today. So, I dug through some computer files and found these beauties, the year we were the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.
Yes, I made these costumes. I always make our costumes. It's part of the fun for me. Seth's turtle shell was actually a hand-me-down from another family and I used it as a guide for the others. Don't you just love the toilet paper tube numchucks. Love these costumes. These costumes are famous in our neighborhood. "Oh yeah, you're the family that dressed up as ninja turtles." Yeah, we get that alot. Apparently our neighbors look forward to seeing our family's costumes every year. We've always dressed up as a family. It's more fun that way. Plus, sometimes it's easier for people to guess your costume in the context of the group. I'll keep digging and see if I can find old photos.

I have loved our costumes over the years. When the hubs and I were engaged, we dressed up as conjoined twins. I sewed two sweatshirts together and we were literally "joined at the hip." Then our first Halloween, the hubs had to work but at 8 months pregnant, I dressed up as a snowman. Then Bean's first Halloween,  Bean was curious George, I was another monkey, and the hubs was the man in the yellow hat. The next year, I was pregnant again. We dressed up as Mr. and Mrs. Potatohead and Bean was a "Tater Tot." Then Monkey's first Halloween, we did the Wizard of Oz. I was Dorothy, the hubs was the tin man, Bean was the scarecrow, and Monkey was the lion. The next year, we were all super heroes from the book Super Hero ABC (the boys favorite at the time). Then came the Ninja Turtles. Last year was Bee's first Halloween. Aaron was a pirate captain and the rest of us were his "skeleton crew." (A play on words, yes, we were skeletons). I'm really excited about this year's costumes. Let's just say, we are going "old-school."  Stay tuned for the big reveal...

No comments: